Wednesday, March 9, 2011

crab cheese puffs rangoon wontons

Nobody knows where it originated, wikipedia has some guesses. Apparently there is not cream cheese, or really any cheese, in Asia so this is obviously not a "real" Chinese food. But I think we all know that. It doesn't change how delicious they are.
I made my own wonton wrappers. It's really easy if: 1) you have made pasta before and, 2) you have a pasta [flat sheet] roller/machine or 3) John Cena stops by to assist with the rolling pin.
I Love Crab Cheese Puffs Rangoon Wontons, Fool!

The wonton wrappers are just dough. The same dough that humans have been mashing together for a zillion years: flour, water, salt. I put it through my pasta roller until setting #5 which is pretty thin, and cut it into squares. tah-dah! You can do this! It's fun!
I made the filling with cream cheese, salt, white pepper, and canned crab. Not imitation crab. I suspect that I am allergic to imitation crab as I get very ill when I eat it. Why do we eat ANYTHING that is named "imitation"? Would you order an "imitation" bowl of spaghetti to eat? Just saying.
Sometimes I add ginger and green onion. I think the filling is better when it's cooked slightly and cooled. For years I have owned a potsticker-maker-folder-thingy. I probably bought it at an Asian kitchen-what-is-that-used-for? store. Pete has asked me at least eleventy-four times "what is that" when he sees Zoe playing with it.  It's just a plastic thing that you put your potsticker/wonton wrapper on and put the filling in the middle and then you fold it in half [it's hinged] and it crimps the edges in a very pretty way.
I used this for my wontons. They were beautiful. However.... they were too big & puffy to handle deep frying and they exploded and lost their filling if I didn't remove them before they seemed done. Sad! So next time I am sticking with the triangles or the pointy versions. Or maybe my wontons were a shade too thin. Those that survived the deep frying were quite tasty.




No comments:

Post a Comment