Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Buckwheat Apple Muffins

I made these delicious muffins this morning. They are from the Allergen-Free Baking cookbook. The recipes in this book are not always sugar-free, but they avoid all of the major allergens: gluten, soy, peanuts, eggs, dairy, tree nuts/stone fruit... I think she says there are 9 foods that account for 90% of all allergies. I could walk 30 feet and get the book, but everytime I walk away from the computer I get distracted for an hour. It has taken me all morning just to type this one paragraph.
anyhow.
The muffins are all buckwheat [which is not a wheat], and I added 1/4c. of flaxmeal for nutrition. I shredded the apple instead of dicing it, because that's how I've always made apple muffins. I don't like it when the muffin is wet/gooey around a chunk of fruit, and they fall apart too. The buckwheat is a powdery flour, so the result is soft and not at all grainy like my brown rice flour. Speaking of, she recommends a certain brand of "superfine" brown rice flour that is apparently the only one to buy if you are tired of the usual, gritty texture. She claims that it is available at Whole Foods, and I can order it online too. What I really want is the Grain Mill attachment for my KitchenAid, and then perhaps I can create my own superfine flours!

Zoe just asked me to make an ice sculpture. Hmmmm.

No comments:

Post a Comment