Friday, January 28, 2011

Hush Puppies

I made these the other night to go with our bean soup for dinner. I think they look divine. I accidentally put in too much white pepper, and I thought the texture was a little dry, but they were still pretty good. It's been a long time since I've had hush puppies. These are made with an organic, gluten-free yellow corn meal, jalapeno, onion, and a little milk & an egg. I fried them in canola oil. Pete kept saying that he didn't know what hush puppies were and that he thought that a hush puppy was a cheap version of an Icee, and then I told him that he was thinking of a slush-puppy, but he still had no idea what a hush puppy was. There are no Long John Silvers in the Northwest, and only one decent BBQ place {the Frontier Room - yes, they have amazing hush puppies}, so it's no wonder that he thinks these are slurpees. I dipped mine in our favorite BBQ sauce from Kansas City - Cowtown. I can buy it here for about $7 a bottle at our local butcher/sauce shop. I can order it online and with shipping it sometimes saves me a buck a bottle. We only have 1/2 a bottle in the fridge right now. The tension level when we are low on BBQ sauce is palpable.

No comments:

Post a Comment