Sunday, August 28, 2011

hummus

Hummus is easy to make if you have a food processor. You can use your blender I suppose.

A can of chickpeas / garbanzo beans
Tahini [sesame paste]
Lemon Juice
Olive Oil
Water
Salt

Now, I like to use roasted lemons for the lemon juice. I really like to use roasted Meyer Lemons.
I use an organic, cold-pressed, extra virgin olive oil. You can taste the difference. This dip is raw and cold so the flavor of the oil you use will be there. Use clean, cold, filtered water. I use Kosher salt and sometimes a flake, grey sea salt.
I also add some additional flavors like roasted garlic [I like to use fresh, local garlic from my farmer's market. It is spicy and mild at the same time], black pepper, cayenne pepper, perhaps a little dried basil.
Put everything in the food processor and whip it up until it is as smooth or not-smooth as you prefer. If the chickpeas still feel grainy/chunky and the dip seems dry - just add a few tablespoons of water until it is the right consistency for you. I like my hummus to be be smooth, but hold it's shape on the end of carrot stick. I taste the hummus a million times while I'm making it before adding any each of the seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment