Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Muffins Move In



I had a bad day. Nothing a few muffins couldn't fix. But we are trying to stay true to our 3-week cleanse and are half-way through it, so my baking has to be gluten-free, sugar-free.

I am perfecting the gluten-free, sugar-free, vegan muffin. These are 3 of my favorites. They are best served warm.

From the top: Buckwheat Apple, Quinoa-Blueberry, Apple-Carrot-Ginger-Lemon-Etc.

I learned a few more things this time around. For one, I used more applesauce than the original recipe suggests. It adds a moist texture of course, but a little more helps soften whatever type of flour is used too. The other thing I did differently was to gently fill the muffin cups with batter instead of patting it down and forming it into muffin shapes. I tried to let it remain light & airy and this totally changed the baked texture from a dense bread into a more cake-like muffin.

I adapted all 3 of these recipes from the Allergen-Free Baker's Handbook.

Want to know what's in them, non-specifically?

Buckwheat Apple Muffins:
canola oil, agave, unsweetened organic applesauce, vanilla, cinnamon, cardamom, ginger, buckwheat, flax meal, xantham, baking soda, kosher salt, shredded apples

Quinoa-Blueberry Muffins:
organic quinoa flour, organic yellow corn flour, xantham, baking soda, kosher salt, canola oil, agave, vanilla, unsweetened organic applesauce, organic cider vinegar, cinnamon, cardamom, organic blueberries.

Etc Muffins:
organic brown rice flour, potato starch, tapioca flour, xantham, baking soda, kosher salt, organic quinoa flour, flax meal, sunflower seeds, lemon juice, shredded apple, shredded carrots, shredded golden beets, cinnamon, vanilla, agave, canola oil, honey, fresh ginger, lemon zest.

No comments:

Post a Comment