Sunday, August 28, 2011

other things to avoid... plus lamb

we are also avoiding all dairy, bananas, oranges, carbonated beverages, pork, corn, bell peppers, potatoes, strawberries...

what else?

Just for 3 weeks. Since this isn't a medical emergency, we are eating in a way that still makes us happy and satisfied. And without caffiene and sugar I am sleeping SO MUCH BETTER. I think I have some other iron/blood/adrenal issues that need to be worked out, but the leafy greens & no-sugar help.

Friday night I made us Rack of Lamb. I had never done this before. It was DELICIOUS. It was everything I hoped it would be. It was so easy. Part of the delicious-ness was due to the fact that I purchased said Rack of Lamb from Whole Foods where the meat & seafood is organic and raised by elves in an enchanted land with harp music and rainbows. Was it expensive? A bit. $18/lb. And you have this tiny little piece of meat in the fridge, and then the oven, and then on your plate and it looks like you are going to have to order pizza after dinner. But then you make roasted asparagus and saffron quinoa and serve a little homemade, spicy hummus with the lamb and WOW.  And now that I think about it, it was cheaper than Chinese delivery. Not that I don't love me some Kung Pao.
Kung Pao pizza.... [with Ranch, CMB?]

For the lamb recipe I consulted the King of All Things in the Kitchen: James Peterson. I have his new cookbook Kitchen Simple. Buy this book. Every single word on every single page is useful, deliberate, and intelligent. The photos are lovely. There are no recipes for guava-encrusted-Russian-octopus-tapas. So if you are looking for this recipe you are out of luck. If you have never made rack of lamb and are just like me thinking "I can do this, but How do I do this?" then you are looking at the right book.
Put it in a small roasting pan. Put salt on it. Put pepper on it. Put it in the oven for 25 minutes. Take it out of the oven. Put foil on it. Let it sit there for 15 minutes. Eat it.  Listen to Pete say things like "you know, I think I prefer Rack of Lamb [from Whole Foods] over Lamb Chops [from Costco]." Oh really? Amazing! Would you also prefer to drive a Mercedes instead of your work van?

No comments:

Post a Comment