Thursday, August 4, 2011

I think I Canned

Now that we have had over 80 hours of official summer weather, the produce is finally ripe and delicious. I have started with fruit and jams and want to try some different sauces and purees next.


Blueberries in lavendar-honey syrup. I marinated the blueberries in lavendar and added the honey to the boiling syrup. They are fragrant and delicately flavored.






 Bing cherries in brandy. I think these will be delicious on ice cream, crepes, waffles, a spoon. These were simple to make and I plan to do many more jars of them while we have an abundance of cherries at the market. I used a fairly high-quality brandy. They would be good with cognac I think, too.



 Simple dill pickles. I have never made pickles before so I just followed the recipe and used the Ball dill pickle mix. If they are good 6 weeks from now and there are still cucumbers in the store I'll make some more.


Peaches. Peeled and waiting to be spiced.




 Peaches in a vanilla bean-cinnamon-star anise syrup. I added a scraped vanilla bean to the syrup with the peaches. The cinnamon sticks & star anise were added to the hot jars after the fruit was packed.



 Raspberry-Basil-Balsamic Jam. A basic raspberry jam with chopped, fresh basil and some vinegar added. It is still sweet.




Strawberry-Jalapeno-Tequila Jam. The tequila adds a nice flavor without tasting or smelling of alcohol. I used Patron. The jalapenos add a nice heat at the end without making the jam "hot."



 Strawberry No-Sugar jam. I sweetened this with just a few teaspoons of stevia powder. It is still tart.



 Strawberry-Raspberry-Jalapeno jam. I only added about 1/3 c of jalapenos to this batch of jam. It has just a tiny amount of heat & pepper flavor.


 Blueberries marinating in sugar & lavendar.



Strawberries waiting to be jammed.

No comments:

Post a Comment