Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Banana-Raisin Flax Muffins

Another glorious recipe from the Allergen-Free Baking cookbook! These muffins are vegan, gluten-free, allergen-free and chock full of flax-y goodness.

"Flaxseed is very high in omega-3 essential fatty acids, Lee explains. It's the omega 3s -- "good" fats -- that researchers are looking at in terms of their possible effects on lowering cholesterol, stabilizing blood sugar, lowering the risk of breast, prostate, and colon cancers, and reducing the inflammation of arthritis, as well as the inflammation that accompanies certain illnesses such as Parkinson's disease and asthma."

These muffins are made with flaxmeal and I added some extra whole, flax seed for texture & nutrition. I was hesitant to include the raisins, but I'm glad that I did. They definitely add a sweetness and a chewy spot of texture. The best thing about these gluten-free muffins [of any variety] is that you can eat one [or two or three] and not feel like you've ingested a loaf of bread. There is not a starchy heaviness, no sticky egg-sugar-milk feeling that bloats your tummy. They also stay fresh longer. I made these Sunday morning and warmed two of them today [Tuesday] for breakfast and they were still moist and delicious. I think they are supposed to freeze well, but I would rather just bake them as needed.

No comments:

Post a Comment