Sunday, February 6, 2011

Garbanzo Bean Flour

I was looking for nutritional information about garbanzo bean flour and it took me down the dangerous this-to-that-to-this-to-that web path that invariably leads me to browsing at williams-sonoma or shopping for ceramic owls. I did find this great website about nutrition & gluten-free foods that I had to force myself to stop reading so that I could come back and tell you about it: Tamara Duker

Garbanzo Bean Flour is used by itself or combined with other flours/grains. It has fewer caolories and more protein & iron than brown rice flour. Plus the texture is smoother. In my opinion, the one drawback to using GBF as a replacement for white/wheat flour is that you are essentially eating beans... which, we know, are the musical fruit. So if you make a loaf of garbanzo "cornbread" to go with your bean soup - stock up on air freshner.

Here is the published nutritional info for GBF:


NutritionFacts
1/4 cup 
Amount per serving
Calories111
Calories from fat15
% Daily Value *
Total Fat 1.7g3%
Saturated Fat 0g0%
Cholesterol 0mg0%
Sodium 5mg0%
Total
Carbohydrate 18g
6%
Dietary Fiber 5g20%
Protein 6g
Percent values are based on a 2,000 calorie per day diet. Your daily values may differ.
Additional Information
13.5% of calories from Fat
64.9% from Carbohydrates
21.6% from Protein

No comments:

Post a Comment