Wednesday, February 23, 2011

seeded bread


This is a seeded, gluten-free, allergen-free, vegan bread. Out of all of the breads that I have baked without using white flour/eggs/milk... this one is the best. It has a soft texture and a delicious flavor. It doesn't have the cake-y, dough-y dampness that some of the breads made with brown rice flours have. It is also not gritty. The seeds [flax, sunflower, poppy] are just right. I'll admit that I had my first piece warm from the oven with a dab of "real" butter and that changes things, but it's great without the butter too.
This recipe is from The Allergen-Free cookbook that I've been using. It is made using yeast and traditional bread-making techniques. I do find that the instructions in these vegan cookbooks could be more complicated as to yield better results. But they are written for people who might be afraid to bake bread in the first place and need some simplicity to be encouraged to try it. So it's kind of a "throw it in your mixer, throw it on a pan, put it in the oven" deal. I have much better results with all of these recipes when I let the yeast get bubbly and let the dough rest & rise as needed.
To this particular dough I added cardamom, coriander and a little extra salt. And honey.

No comments:

Post a Comment