Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Tuesday Smoothie [and eggs]

We made a new smoothie this morning using a suggested recipe from.... somewhere on the internet... It is very high in potassium, vitamin A & vitamin C. I figure it has about 130 calories - which is fantastic for something that constitutes an entire meal at breakfast and is made with nutrient-rich, whole foods. Constance did throw in some flaxmeal, which only adds to the healthiness of this smoothie. Actually, I opened the container of flaxmeal and threw it all over the counter and the floor - it's really fluffy - and then we managed to scoop some of it into the blender.
  • 1 banana [104 calories]
  • almond milk, unsweetened, 8oz [40 cal]
  • 2 dried apricots [I'm not doing the math here]
  • kale, 1 c [41 calories]
  • blueberries, 1 c [81 calories]
While I like this smoothie, I still have only eaten 1/2 of it today. It's very blueberry flavored, even though it is dark green. The banana & apricots give it some sweetness. It just doesn't have the "zing!" of some of the other smoothies with mango & pineapple. Maybe if there was some ginger and/or lemon in this one. Even a little lime would help balance out the mild sweetness and make it more interesting to taste. So I made two scrambled eggs to go with my 1/2 smoothie.

When I was counting the calories in my salad I looked at the eggs to see how bad they were for me, and hey, not such a big deal. I buy cage-free, brown, organic eggs. They are certified organic by the USDA and the Oregon Tilth. The chickens are fed a vegetarian diet, which is probably corn. I really like these eggs because they are buttery & creamy tasting. If you are buying and eating eggs that require you to add a lot of S&P and butter {and cheese and ham} to make them yummy, then put some of your butter/cheese/ham money into a carton of really good eggs. You'll find that a tbl of olive oil and a dash of sea salt is all you need. Actually, I can get 18 of my fancy eggs at Costco for $4. So it's not expensive at all for me to buy them this way. And then I can still afford to cover them with canadian bacon and hollandaise every now and then.

And eggs are awesome. Eggs have every amino acid except for calcium [unless you eat the shell]. You can read about their awesome-ness and get some *new* recipes at this crazy egg website
Did you have eggs for breakfast this morning? There are endless recipes for great tasting dishes with eggs, so there's no reason you can't enjoy them for breakfast every day.
Eggs are all-natural and packed with a number of nutrients. One egg has 13 essential vitamins and minerals in varying amounts, high-quality protein, unsaturated fats and antioxidants, all for 70 calories.
Eggs' nutrients can help you with weight management, muscle strength, eye health, brain function and having a healthy pregnancy. Particularly important for aiding healthy brain function and pregnancy is choline (pronounced KOH-leen), which is amply present in eggs.

No comments:

Post a Comment