Sunday, February 6, 2011

croutons

Last week I made a loaf of Flying Apron House Bread [see past post], and nobody ate it. Including me. It retained it's bitter after-taste. And I don't know if it's the flax or something else. It seemed like a huge waste to just throw it to the crows so I cut it up into large cubes and made croutons tonight. Saved!
I know these will go beautifully with my signature salad [Constance pointed out that we need "signature" things: colors, drinks... animals, catch-phrases, perfumes...why not salads?]. see past post about candied pecans.

Croutons
Cut bread [Flying Apron House Bread, or other hearty non-gluten, flax-y type bread] into 1" cubes.
Toss them onto a large sheet pan. Heat oven to 325.
In a small bowl combine with whisk:
  • 1/4 c of olive oil
  • 3 tbl honey
  • sea salt, black pepper, garlic powder, dried oregano [each to taste, a tsp?] and a dash of cayenne.
pour this mixture over the bread cubes and toss them around with your hands until they absorb the oil and are equally coated. Give the bread cubes some room to breathe so they toast evenly and put them in the oven for at least 20 minutes. My croutons took 30 minutes to get toasty, it's going to depend on what bread you use and how dry it already is. I tossed them around a bit halfway through.
When they were cool they were crispier than when they were hot from the oven.
The magic of the honey and the salt, and the toasty goodness, give this hearty bread some soul.

No comments:

Post a Comment