Saturday, February 12, 2011

Top Chef Dinner

If you are not watching Top Chef than you...probably have other things to do on Wednesday night. Maybe that's when you wash your hair. At our house it is recorded and watched and then we read blogs about it on Thursday and then we re-watch it again when Zoe is not loudly repeating "how about UmiZoomi, mom? how about UmiZoomi, mom? how about UmiZoomi, mom?" and spilling things that are just sticky enough to make me leave the room and miss important Top Chef moments.
This past Wednesday Pete was out of town so Constance and I got to have one of our favorite meals: a cheese plate! She brought home a box of fine cheeses from an event she attended the previous night. We added dried fruit, crackers, honey-walnuts & chocolate-covered almonds. Yum! It was enough food to feed many more people. On Thursday I made the most divine mac & cheese with the leftovers.
To go with our fruit plate I also made polenta. The previous week on Top Chef, Tiffany made some amazing-looking polenta that was layered with sausage & kale. Why had I not seen/thought of this before? I layered mine with pesto & myzithra cheese. Many, many years ago I received this kit to make "stacked" food and a cookbook from Doug & Tammy. I have used it many times, usually to stack brownies, ice cream & raspberries. This time I made the polenta and filled the rings with each layer and then put them in the fridge for a few hours. Then I just put them into the oven and reheated them . When it was warm and we were ready to eat they slid right out of the molds and looked beautiful! They could have used a sauce - mushroom or tomato or gorgonzola...

No comments:

Post a Comment